This fellowship is also called the CAS-TWAS President’s PhD Fellowship Programme. Under an agreement between the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) and TWAS, up to 200 students/scholars from all over the world, including 60 from developed countries, are sponsored to travel to China for PhD studies for up to four years.
This CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme provides students/scholars who are non-Chinese citizens an opportunity to pursue PhD degree studies at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences (UCAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) or Institutes of CAS around China.
Under the terms of the CAS-TWAS agreement, travel from their home countries to China is provided to the fellowship awardees in order to begin the fellowship in China (one trip only per student/scholar). TWAS selects 80 awardees from developing countries to support their international travel, while CAS supports the other 120 including 60 from developed countries. Any awardee on site in China, the host country, at the time of application is NOT eligible for any travel reimbursement. Visa fees are also covered (once only per student/scholar).
Fellowship awardees receive a monthly stipend (to cover accommodation and other living expenses, local travel expenses and health insurance) of RMB 7 000 or RMB 8 000 from CAS through UCAS/USTC, depending on whether he/she has passed the qualification test arranged by UCAS/USTC for all PhD candidates after admission. All awardees are also provided tuition and admission fee waivers.
Any fellowship awardee who fails the qualification test twice will face consequences, including:
- Termination of his/her fellowship.
- Discontinuation of his/her PhD study at CAS institutions.
- Being conferred a diploma of completion instead of a PhD degree.
All the procedures will adhere to UCAS/USTC regulations and rules.
The funding duration of the fellowship is four years, divided into:
- Maximum 1 year study of courses and participation in centralised training at UCAS/USTC, including four months compulsory courses in the Chinese language and culture.
- Practical research and completion of degree thesis at colleges and schools of UCAS/USTC or CAS institutes.
General conditions for applicants:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the year of application.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of his/her fellowship.
- Not hold Chinese citizenship.
- Meet the admission criteria for international students of UCAS/USTC (http://english.ucas.ac.cn/Admissions/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=78 orhttp://en.ustc.edu.cn/admissions/international_students/).
- Hold a Masters degree before the beginning of the fall semester: 1 September.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to their home country on completion of their studies in China, according to CAS-TWAS agreement.
- Provide proof of knowledge of English or the Chinese language.
Note: Applicants currently pursuing PhD degrees at any university/institution in China are NOT eligible for this fellowship. Applicants CANNOT apply for both UCAS and USTC simultaneously.
STEP BY STEP GUIDELINES
In order to successfully apply for the CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship, applicants are requested to follow a few key steps that are indicated below:
1. Check the eligibility criteria.
2. Find an eligible host supervisor affiliated with colleges and schools of UCAS/USTC, OR CAS institutes that agree to accept you.
3. File your application via the online application system on the official website.
4. Prepare supporting document for your application.
5. Once you have found a host supervisor who agrees to accept you, and have prepared your supporting documentation then you are ready to submit.
6. The deadline for submitting all material and applications should be observed.
7. Where to enquire and submit applications:
Applicants for UCAS, please contact:
CAS-TWAS President’s Fellowship Programme UCAS Office (UCAS)
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences
80 Zhongguancun East Road, Beijing, 100190, China
Tel: +86 10 82672900
Fax: +86 10 82672900