This year, TWAS-SAREP is looking to partner with one African Science Academy that will be the local host for the 2019 Regional Young Scientists’ Conference. The call is open to all the Academies of Science in Africa, including Young Academies of Science. The conference must be targeted at young scientists (Masters graduates, PhD candidates, postdoctoral fellows and also early career researchers) from sub-Saharan Africa. Joint proposals between senior and young academies are strongly encouraged. CLOSING DATE: 20 APRIL 2019
The proposal must be supported by an official letter of support from the President of the academy. The accompanying application form provides guidance on all the relevant information that needs to be addressed in the proposal. The proposals will be evaluated by a Selection Committee to be appointed by TWAS-SAREP and the Selection Committee’s decision will be final. All applicants will receive feedback within two (2) months of the closing date. TWAS-SAREP will make available an amount of USD 20 000 for the successful host academy as partial contribution towards the hosting of this conference. This amount will be paid in three tranches: 20% on signing of the contract; 60% on presentation of a detailed business plan and budget; and 20% on receipt of a conference report.
Please download proposal form here: 2019 TWAS-SAREP Regional Young Scientists Conference- Proposal Form
- This call for proposals is targeted at Academies of Science (members of the Network of African Science Academies) and Young Academies of Science in Africa.
- The proposing academy must provide evidence of having hosted such an event or a related event in the past.
- The proposing academy must provide evidence that they have sufficient capacity (staffing and financial management) to host such an event.
- The proposing academy must have fund raising capabilities to at least match the TWAS-SAREP allocated budget.
- The proposing academy must host the conference by November 2019 and the event must be hosted for 2 days or more.
- The local host is expected to contribute financially to the hosting of the conference. These financial responsibilities will be negotiated and agreed upon after TWAS-SAREP’s selection of the successful host academy.
- The local host is expected to take responsibility for all logistical arrangements and compilation of the scientific programme. The staff of TWAS-SAREP in the ASSAf secretariat will play a supportive, advisory and monitoring role.
- The local host is expected to take responsibility for local publicity and press/media coverage for the event (pre-event, during event and post-event) and to coordinate, among others, press release distribution; advertising in local newspapers and magazines (optional); preparation of conference banners; and supply of conference bags and programmes.
- The conference must target young scientists drawn from countries in sub-Saharan Africa, mostly from Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and Science & Technology Lagging Countries (STLCs).
- The local host must pay travel and local hospitality costs of participants.
All correspondence and submissions to TWAS-SAREP must be in English.
Any proposals received after the closing date will not be considered. The regional office therefore urges all interested academies to submit their proposals via email by 20 APRIL 2019.
Mr Kholani Mbhiza
+27 12 349 6638