The World Academy of Sciences Regional Office for sub-Saharan Africa (TWAS-ROSSA) is one of five regional offices of The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS). TWAS-ROSSA has been hosted by the Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf) since March 2015.
TWAS-ROSSA was previously based at the African Academy of Sciences (AAS) in Nairobi, Kenya.
The main objective of TWAS-ROSSA is to promote and profile the activities of TWAS and its affiliated organisations in the region. This includes issuing of grants and awards, as well as enabling networking among TWAS fellows in Africa.
As host organisation, ASSAf:
- Enhances the visibility of TWAS among young and promising scientists, policymakers and media through the organisation of public lectures, discussion meetings with local newspapers/magazines and other fora.
- Identifies eminent scientists in the region for nomination as TWAS fellows, young affiliates and for awards.
- Assesses the vitality and effectiveness of TWAS’s activities in the region.
- Organises activities in areas of science and technology that are of critical importance to the region.
- Department of Science and Technology (DST)- South Africa
- Academy of Science of South Africa (ASSAf)